Anyone who has traveled for leisure or work knows the struggle to eat clean and healthy while away from your usual routine. The same obstacle is present at work meetings or events. Here are my top 5 tips to keep it clean + healthy while on the road or stuck in an office event.
1. Plan Ahead! The single most important step – don’t skip it Before the event or trip, take a look at your schedule – know what to expect in terms of meetings, airport/airplane time, etc. Once you have a good idea of how your day will shake out, plan to carry healthy snacks so you are never left starving and reaching for an unhealthy last resort. Here’s what I pack in my bag: apple/banana, healthy low-glycemic protein bars, nuts. I pack enough for every day I am gone or tied up in meetings.
2. Set Your Intention! When you know you will be on travel or away, it’s important to set your intention for how you expect the trip/day to go in terms of your healthy habits. Are there dinners/meals you wont have control over? Dining out? Is there time to fit in a workout? Take 10 minutes and ask yourself these questions, then plan to fit in your workout, and your strategy for dining out.
3. Keep It Simple! If you find yourself in restaurants you don’t normally go to or eating at catered events, try to choose the most simple option. When you are at a restaurant, don’t be afraid to order off the menu and ask for a big green salad with veggies and dressing on the side. Every single restaurant has ingredients for a healthy salad and they are almost always happy to oblige For catered events, it can be a little more tricky. If you can, eat beforehand and try to stick to fruit or salad, but if it’s a situation when you are expected to partake, try to eat a small portion and keep the rest of your day and day after super clean. 1 meal won’t ruin your hard work (if you don’t let it). You still need to be aware of what you are eating before and after.
4. Take Breaks + Stretch! When I used to work in an office environment, it drove me crazy how smokers would take so many breaks and non-smokers wouldn’t. It was frowned upon to take 5-10 minutes to go outside for fresh air or a quick walk, but if you were a smoker, it was completely accepted to take 5-10 minute breaks every 45 minutes. Don’t be afraid to step out of a meeting for a quick breaks. Many clients suffer from headaches and migraines when stuck in fluorescent lighting for hours on end – you can avoid this by simply getting some natural light every couple of hours. Plus, a few deep breaths and stretching can rejuvenate you faster than a cup of coffee.
5. Drink Lots of Water! This may seem like a no-brainer, but it’s one of the first things to go when people travel or are busy with events. Keep your water bottle filled at all times and sip throughout the day. Water is essential to focus, energy, weight maintenance, digestion, and so much more. When you stop drinking water, your brain and stomach send mixed signals that are misinterpreted as hunger instead of thirst. You end up reaching for sugar instead of water and then begins a cycle that is hard to break. Drink up!
Enjoy your next work event or trip without worrying about taking a step backwards in your health
Get My Recipes + Lifestyle Tips To Your Inbox!
Looking for something?
Blog Post Categories